[Gta04-owner] QtMoko v48 sound problems

EdorFaus edorfaus at xepher.net
Mon Oct 29 21:56:19 CET 2012

> Am 29.10.2012 um 20:36 schrieb arne anka:
>> i somewhat lost track of the current workings (and i don't know how
>> your device is set up), but you may need to actaully _flash_ the
>> kernel. just installing with apt or dpkg does not necessarily make
>> it available to the device and it may still boot the old kernel.

Considering I never explicitly flashed a kernel to start with (or
anything else for that matter; my NAND still contains the factory
default setup AFAIK), yet it apparently booted a qtmoko kernel, I doubt
I need to do this (unless QtMoko automatically flashes its kernel to
NAND before first boot or something, which would be *very* strange IMO).

Thank you for the suggestion though, as you said, you couldn't know what
my setup is like.

On 10/29/2012 08:57 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> With the new (and partially with the old) boot system, it will look
> at /boot/uImage on an SD card. I.e. installing a package works to
> upgrade the kernel.

Hmm. I'm probably still on the old boot system, and after thinking about
it, I think it boots the /uImage (without /boot dir) from the (first)
FAT partition, without looking in /boot on the ext4 partition - while
the .deb package probably only updates /boot/uImage in the rootfs on the
ext4 partition, leaving the uImage on the FAT partition alone.

Either way, the new boot system sounds quite nice; if I understand
correctly from the other email, it completely eliminates the need for
that initial FAT partition, so that I can use just the ext4 one. :D

> If the Kernel *and* rootfs are in NAND, this does not work since they
> are stored in distinct NAND partitions. And it needs a flashing step
> to copy the kernel from /boot/uImage to the different NAND
> partition.

This sounds familiar from my GTA02 days, and it does not surprise me to
hear that it is still the case for GTA04. In fact, it would have
surprised me more if this had been changed. If/when I install a system
to NAND though, I'll keep it in mind.

-Frode