[Gta04-owner] Battery capacity calibration

EdorFaus edorfaus at xepher.net
Sun Oct 28 10:58:43 CET 2012

On 10/28/2012 12:19 AM, EdorFaus wrote:
> My question then became: how do I calibrate it?
>
> Trying to search online only gave me some information for Mac laptops,
> which I'm not sure is valid here. It basically said to first charge it
> completely and then discharge it completely (though not in those words).

> Despite my misgivings, I'm currently trying just that, having charged it
> as high as it goes and am currently leaving it on and disconnected to
> see if running it all the way out helps. I'll report back when it's done.

OK, it didn't seem to have helped at first, but after a little while of
charging after this process, the indicator started working, so it
appears that the process is the same.

However, I suspect mine's not really calibrated correctly in the max
capacity, as charge_full is only about 87% (1077247 / 1233792) of
charge_full_design (and this battery is brand new).

So, I have a question: is it possible to temporarily disable the
function that stops charging when the battery is full, so that it keeps
charging as long as the device is plugged in?

It's a nice function normally, to keep the battery healthy as long as
possible, so I'll want it back afterwards, but I think it's interfering
with battery calibration (the Mac instructions said to charge to full,
then leave it plugged in (and charging) for another couple hours), so I
would like to try without it once. (Well, assuming that wouldn't be
spectacularly bad for the battery - would it be?)

I've tried searching for it, but haven't found anything saying clearly
either way, just some tangentially related issues (like an old one where
it discharged all the way to zero, which has since been fixed).

-Frode