[Gta04-owner] Battery capacity calibration

EdorFaus edorfaus at xepher.net
Sun Oct 28 00:19:10 CEST 2012

Hi,

I recently got a GTA04, and have put QtMoko v48 on it.

I quickly noticed that the battery level indicator seemed to not work
properly - it shows up as just a red battery outline with nothing in it
(except for a lightning symbol when charging).

However, I don't think this is actually a problem with the indicator
itself, as reading some of the files in
/sys/class/power_supply/bq27000-battery/ gives me the error "No data
available", and dmesg shows lots of messages like this:

bq27000-battery bq27000-battery: battery is not calibrated! ignoring
capacity values

I assume this is because my (official OM) battery is brand new (bought
at the same time as my GTA04 because my old battery has gone bad) and
thus simply hasn't been calibrated yet.

My question then became: how do I calibrate it?

Trying to search online only gave me some information for Mac laptops,
which I'm not sure is valid here. It basically said to first charge it
completely and then discharge it completely (though not in those words).

Even if that's correct, I'm not sure if I'm managing to charge it
completely, as it never seems to go above about 89% charged (based on
the charge_full_design value, since charge_full is unavailable) before
it starts to discharge. Does anyone know if this is normal?

It also doesn't feel very safe to simply leave the GTA04 on until the
battery is completely empty (for the filesystems if nothing else).

Despite my misgivings, I'm currently trying just that, having charged it
as high as it goes and am currently leaving it on and disconnected to
see if running it all the way out helps. I'll report back when it's done.

However, I would still appreciate some guidance on this, if anyone knows
what to do or not do.

-Frode