[Gta04-owner] [QtMoko] no sound during call (GTA04a3, QtMv48)

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Wed Oct 17 22:20:20 CEST 2012

Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz> writes:

> On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:16:34 AM Neil Jerram wrote:
>
>> Neil Jerram <neil at ossau.homelinux.net> writes:
>> > I think voice notes are flaky for me too.
>>
>> [...]
>> >
>> > I have occurrences of that in my logs too.  It appears always to occur
>> > in this combination:
>> >
>> > Oct  6 16:55:09 neo kernel: [13816.386840] twl4030-codec twl4030-codec:
>> > operation mode cannot be changed on-the-fly Oct  6 16:55:09 neo Qtopia:
>> > alsactl returned  "alsactl: set_control:1388: Cannot write control
>> > '2:0:0:Codec Operation Mode:0' : Device or resource busy Oct  6 16:55:09
>> > neo Qtopia: " , running kill-snd-card-users.sh
>> > Oct  6 16:55:10 neo Qtopia: killing 1652
>>
>> Here's an A3 patch that handles that codec error more gracefully, and
>> appears to improve voice notes and media playback for me.  A fairly full
>> description is in the patch itself.
>
> Hmm now it starts to look too hackish.

Agreed!  It does help on A3, but it's not a good long term solution.

> How about this idea:
>
> Let's split the state files into 2 sets - for A3 and for A4. Since A3 does not
> need to switch "Codec Operation Mode" at all, we can remove this control from
> state files.

I'm not sure, because I don't yet know what the A4 solution will look
like, and that might be relevant to whether it's worth splitting the
state files.  For example, for A4 it looks like we need to write some
careful code to _ensure_ that we only change state when no one is
accessing the sound card (and without just killing, because that breaks
other things).  Once we have that code, we might as well use it for A3
too - and then it shouldn't matter that the state files include "Codec
Operation Mode".

By the way, how much work / optimisation has been done on the existing
state files other than gsmearpiece* ?  I had a quick look at / play with
gsmheadset.state, and it seems to have some pretty clear errors in it,
such as not routing to the headset :-).

> Until now i was quite busy with finishing Qt 4.8.3 upgrade, but i would like to
> take a look at media server - why it gets stuck. Maybe we can also switch from
> cruxus to gstreamer.

Did you infer 'it gets stuck' from my log?  Or did you already have
other evidence for that?

Regards,
        Neil