[Gta04-owner] Absent Wi-Fi interface

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Oct 13 09:19:56 CEST 2012

Hi Bob,

Am 12.10.2012 um 22:35 schrieb Bob Ham:

> Hi all,
>
> I have received my GTA04 now (yay!).  I'm having problems with the Wi-Fi
> interface though.  I've installed QtMoko v48 which has a 3.5.0 kernel
> and the libertas-firmware package is installed.  Unfortunately, there is
> no Wi-Fi network interface listed.
>
> I have hso0, lo, pan0 and usb0 but never eth0 or wlan0.  The libertas
> module is not loaded after boot.  I have modprobe'd libertas and no
> interface appears.  The only information in dmesg is this line:
>
> [ 3314.234374] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
>
> I have executed the "Turn on Wifi" and "Restart wifi" scripts via the
> QtMoko menu.  Neither make an interface appear.  I have executed the
> default Debian installation installed on NAND and cannot get an
> interface there either.
>
> The odd thing is that bluetooth works fine.  This is odd because as I
> understand it, bluetooth and wifi are on the same silicon.

Well, the WiFi/BT combo is a multi-chip package and such problems
may arise from an interface problem.

> I fear there may be a hardware problem.  Is there a way to canonically
> determine whether the Wi-Fi hardware is properly integrated and working
> correctly?

Boot into the Debian hw-validation image in NAND,
ssh root at 192.168.0.202 through USB
and then ./hw-test.

So let's cross fingers that it is not a solder joint problem (early failures are
more likely http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve ).