[Gta04-owner] Questions about OpenPhoenux 2804

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Oct 10 09:56:14 CEST 2012

Am 10.10.2012 um 09:25 schrieb Алексей:

> I have some questions about gta04 before I buy.
> Sorry me if it is wrong place to ask.

This is exactly ok!

> http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04%20Complete
> ^ OpenPhoenux 2804 - Freerunner GTA04 upgrade.
> 1) Which hardware revision is used in this device?

The latest revision we will have when upgrading a Freerunner to a 2804.

Currently GTA04A4 is in production but completely sold out.
So you can expect the upcoming GTA04A5.

But since we don't have enough old Frerrunner to do
that upgrade, the time frame is not yet decided.

> 2) Does it's case have stereo speakers?

The Freerunner case has only one speaker. But it is possible to 3D
print the speaker box from the Neo1973 and add a second speaker.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/435860/stereo-speaker-bottom-gta04.html
http://www.shapeways.com/model/435861/stereo-speaker-top-gta04.html

> 3) Are GTA04:Camera and GTA04:RS232 provided with the device? It is not clear

No, they are not included by default.

> from the description "…but without the original Openmoko power supply and
> other accessories…".

The original Openmoko devices came with USB power supply, USB cable,
a 512 MB memory card and a touch pen plus a nice gift box. Usually when
we get an old Freerunner for upgrade all these parts are missing.

> 4) How may I use gentoo on gta04? I do not see any how-to/guide about it.
> Is it similar to FreeRunner setup? Do I just need to start with armv7a stages
> and gta04 kernel? I'm about to use crossdev distcc with qemu kvm buildhost, is
> it possible? What are hardware cflags of `TI DM3730 with 1000 MHz´? May you
> please show me output of `echo "" | gcc -march=native -v -E - 2>&1 | grep cc1`?

There is a full U-Boot, Kernel and Debian rootfs available (e.g. QtMoko).
So it may suffice to replace the Debian with Gentoo and use the other parts as they are.

> 5) Will bluetooth smartcardreader work with gta04? Which one should I buy?
> I want to use this card > http://www.gemalto.com/products/dotnet_card/
> I'm about to use bluetooth headset and keyboard, don't I need specific ones?
> Will most bluetooth devices work?

Most likely yes. The bluetooth chip uses the serial hci protocol and runs at 3 MBit/s
so everything you can do within these limits should work.

> 6) May I use st2205 or similar devices with gta04 as a second display?
> http://ssl.bulix.org/projects/lcd4linux/wiki/st2205

Hm. I have no idea how it is connected. The GTA04 has a TVout (standard NTSC
or PAL 75 Ohms). So you can connect an analog TV set as a second screen.

Another approach is IMHO to connect through USB/WLAN and ssh and use
X11 forwarding or VNC.

-- hns