[Gta04-owner] New antenna for 4G/3G/GSM

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 9 23:34:54 CEST 2012

On Tuesday 09 October 2012 08:41:10 Christ van Willegen wrote:
> I found the following article (in Dutch, but perhaps an English
> version can be found from its source) about a new antenna that's been
> developed for new mobile communication:
>
> http://webwereld.nl/nieuws/112047/kleinste-antenne-maakt-smartphone-energie
> zuiniger.html
>
> Christ van Willegen

For a future GTA0x I was actually wondering if software defined radio would be
feasible.

There's actually some quite low priced hardware nowadays that can do
reception, based on DVB-T dongles :
<http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr>

Pushed a bit, those dongles do reception from 50MHz to over 2GHz. I hope
there's news about a transmitter in a friendly price range before to long.

Would that be an option to use for a mobile communications device? I have no
idea about energy use patterns of software decoding versus hardware antennas.
I presume it'll use more energy, but we'd need fewer antennas and supporting
chips, which allows for more battery.

Best regards,

Boudewijn