[Gta04-owner] Offering a present for Christmas

Sven Dyroff S.Dyroff at phytec.de
Thu Oct 4 10:55:25 CEST 2012

Hello Nikolaus,

> If you really power off the device (through the TPS65950) and have
switched
> off the UMTS module correctly there is only the RTC and scanning of the
power
> button left over, i.e. there are no consumers connected directly to the
battery
> except the PMIC and the UMTS module. And power consumption is in the uA
> range (maybe 100 uA). This has been proven during development of the
board.

my GTA04A4 even with QtMoko v38 (-> kernel 3.5) still drains battery
during poweroff. I still always have to remove the battery after power off
in order to stop that. Not very healthy for the case.

> ... but I think that such a sub-populated board doesn't help much.

> The problematic part appears to correctly shut down the unused
> components within the PMIC and the OMAP+PoP but keep suspend
> to RAM work correctly. And maybe one or two of the peripheral
> components are not shut down correctly (e.g. ITG3200, IrDA).
> But those would be missing on the subpopulated device.

It was just an idea. You're free to modify it if you find that another
combination of a sub-populated board will help finding the cause for the
needlessly power drainage. I only say: If you and a kernel developer come
to the conclusion that it helps to make a subpopulated device and that its
costs are max. 400 EUR, you may send me the bill. I hold this offer up to
the end of November.

Best regards
   Sven