[Gta04-owner] 3.0.8 kernel for Android/Replicant

Paul Kocialkowski paulk at paulk.fr
Fri Nov 30 22:13:24 CET 2012

During the last few days, I tried to come up with a working kernel for
Android/Replicant 4.0. Usually, Android 4.0 devices use a 3.0.8 kernel,
since other kernel versions have different features that are not
compatible with the userspace Android. On gingerbread, we've been using
Neil Brown's 3.2 kernel merged with an unofficial linaro 3.2 branch.
This resulted in a kinda working kernel, where most of the basic
features that are not Android-specific worked (screen, input, USB,
audio, etc) but turned out to be a real nightmare for the
Android-specific part (Android USB gadget was totally broken, no proper
suspend/resume with earlysuspend, etc).

Since Neil has been porting the GTA04-specific kernel modifications over
different kernel versions (3.2, 3.3, 3.4 and 3.5) I thought it would be
easier to grab a proper 3.0.8 kernel designed for Android on OMAP3
boards. There is such a kernel available on omapzoom [1].

So I am considering porting the GTA04-specific changes back to that
3.0.8 tree, in order to have all the Android features in place. I have
already imported minor changes (panel and led drivers) but I am unsure
about what to do with the board file and the omap3 changes. So I'm
wondering if someone used to dealing with GTA04 kernel aspects could
help me figuring out which changes are needed, given that the omapzoom
tree already comes with a share of omap3-specific improvements.

Keep in mind that Android does require a specific kernel setup and that
a decent user experience with Android on the GTA04 can only exist with
proper support in kernel-space. Also, I believe that going with the
partially-working 3.2 kernel and applying tons of tricks and hacks in
both kernel and user space will not result in any good result. That's
why I'm asking some serious help to bring a stable and reliable kernel
for Android 4.0.

Also, note that I have serial available and a GTA04A4 board. Any help is
welcome!

[1]:
http://omapzoom.org/?p=kernel/omap.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/p-android-omap3-3.0

--