[Gta04-owner] QtMoko v50

Adrien Dorsaz adrien at adorsaz.ch
Thu Nov 29 00:10:48 CET 2012

Hi,

> as some of you have discovered, QtMoko v50 is now available for download [1].
Thanks :)

> If you create subdirectory gta04-init on the first FAT partition, you will
> have the abilily to reboot to extended partition from QtMoko gui - like it was
> before.

Endly I've found the solution, thanks ! Maybe you should add this
into /distros/README ?

> If there are no regression, then we can have some time without releases. I
> plan just some experimental Qt 4.8.3/wheezy/armhf releases until it's stable.

As said in mail [1], there's some regression because of pulseaudio
(responsiveness of the GUI and CPU usage), but there's a workaround.

For current suspend (in same mail), I think that's because of pulseaudio
and dbus, but I'm not sure (it could be good to be confirmed). Oh, I've
just thought, that I didn't try v50 with pulseaudio workaround and SIM
inside (all my tests were without SIM).

Here are some personal notes about current OS state :

      * Wifi is good and I've thought about theming : as with last
        themes, we can have ping if we click on wifi icons in top bar
        (when wifi is enabled). Is it possible to have an icon when wifi
        isn't connected (maybe a gray icon) ? If so, we could make a
        script that automatically "starts" wifi connection (as the start
        option in Internet connection).
      * Maybe the same could be done for gprs/3g and bluetooth (to
        enable it).
      * When I've tried to get emails in QtMoko 48, I've seen that the
        mail application couldn't read signed mails (and IIRC other
        mails, but I didn't know why).
      * I've just seen that we can have all sms sent and received by a
        contact with "Contacts" application. I like it and I think I'll
        try to implement an application to see the SMS like that (like
        on Android devices). But I know only Java and Scala, so I'll
        need time to learn C++, Qt and how to use Qt with framebuffer.
      * Personally, QtMoko needs contact and calendar synchronizer, but
        I can't find a Qt application to do that. Maybe someone could
        give me a tip ?

Regards,
Adrien