[Gta04-owner] QtMoko v49 - Look and feel

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Nov 27 14:05:54 CET 2012

Hi,

Am 27.11.2012 um 11:01 schrieb Sven Dyroff:

> Hello,
>
> meanwhile I also tried QtMoko v49 together with bootloader "Production 20121120". My impressions:
>
> - Bootloader starts with dark red and empty screen -> Shock! What's wrong?

That is a warning that you are just installing the new u-boot on the
SD card to NAND. It comes only on the first boot with this SD card.

So it is a feature of the bootloader and not to blaim any version of
QtMoko for.

The latest recommendation is to have a separate SD card to flash
new boot loaders (since this should be needed quite rarely).

And another SD or several for working/experimenting with different
systems. But it is still possible to live/work with a single one (if big
enough for everything).

> - No penguin -> Anger! What's going wrong here?

It was not possible to make the bootloader flash itself into NAND
and still show the standard boot splash image. This is because the
OMAP BootROM remembers that it did boot on power up from SD.
So U-Boot from SD can't reboot to u-boot from NAND. And if it can't
we can't implement the "flash only once" feature properly.

> - See the 4-icon-menu -> Ahhh! The previous reaction wasn't a bug. We shall see it as feature!   :-o

> - QtMoko booting -> Fine!
> - See QtMoko booting for unusual long time -> Slowly anger arises again. What's going wrong?
> - Finally see the Qt Calibration -> Ahhhh! QtMoko only had lots of stuff to boot. It's ok!
> - Do the calibration. It's awfully slow and choppy. -> WTF?

> - Enter date, time and pin. It's ok.
> - See the MokoFaen and go to settings in order to switch to Finxi. OK, I expected this step to do. But I didn't expect it to last such long.
> - See Finxi with black background -> Bahhhh!
> - See that some icons are missing. Very strange: The green "Back"-icon has gone. But I need it and so I found: I can touch it and it works, but I can't see it -> Bahhh!
> - See empty battery icon whereas I know the battery is quite full. Problem known from v48  ->   :-(((
>
> Result:
> Being happy that my NAND is still quite empty! So just remove the SD card and put in again the old one with QtMoko v47 (and previous bootloader). In my opinion the best and most stable version we have.

This probably also reflashes the old bootloader but does not show the red screen.