[Gta04-owner] QtMoko v49

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Thu Nov 22 21:49:28 CET 2012

On Thursday, November 22, 2012 07:54:35 PM arne anka wrote:

> correct me if i am wrong, but initramfs means to me that is a file
> external to the kernel and loaded at boot time.

It does not necessary have to be file, it can be embedded in uImage. It
depends what bootloader supports (e.g. grub supports separate file).

The definition is more like this: it's cpio archive with minimal rootfs that
mounts the real rootfs in userspace. But there is much better documentation :)

> but all things i know and so far read, put together:
> said initramfs is nothing but a disk image with a file system and some
> stuff to be run after mounting.

The purpose of initramfs is to mount the real root filesystem and execute
/sbin/init there. Mounting real root in userspace has many advantages. I think
mounting real root in kernel space is nowaday considered obsolete...

> hence, if everything else fails, it should be possiible to re-create that
> file (mkinitramfs?) with all active parts removed -- or is there even a
> simple boot param to make the kernel skip the initramfs?

I doubt that such option is useful for. Either you want to use it or not...
Btw you would most likely not boot you PC without initamfs nowadays...

Regards

Radek