[Gta04-owner] QtMoko v49

arne anka openmoko at ginguppin.de
Thu Nov 22 19:54:35 CET 2012

> gta04-init is small rootfs compiled into kernel - this is called
> initramfs.
> You cant remove it from the kernel binary image. But you can compile
> kernel
> without this initramfs - it's just one kernel config option. QtMoko will
> work
> just fine without it.

correct me if i am wrong, but initramfs means to me that is a file
external to the kernel and loaded at boot time.
so, basically it should be possible to remove that file -- although i have
no idea what the kernel will do, when the file can't be loaded and thus
the filesystem is not created in ram and accessible.

but all things i know and so far read, put together:
said initramfs is nothing but a disk image with a file system and some
stuff to be run after mounting.
hence, if everything else fails, it should be possiible to re-create that
file (mkinitramfs?) with all active parts removed -- or is there even a
simple boot param to make the kernel skip the initramfs?