[Gta04-owner] QtMoko v49

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Nov 22 17:23:52 CET 2012

Hi Radek,

Am 22.11.2012 um 16:39 schrieb Radek Polak:

> On Thursday, November 22, 2012 04:19:56 PM Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>
>> How does this depend on the FAT size? I am not aware of any limitation.
>
> I tried big fat32 and it simply did not work - the bootloader from SD was not
> launched. I changed it to small FAT16 and it started working.

Ok, I have to check that.

According to [1] a FAT32 is required. So I wonder why the FAT16 did work...
Maybe the partition type must be set to some different value or whatever.

>> Probably yes and that is why I plead for making distros completely
>> independent from partitioning. I.e. the distro must manage different
>> partitioning schemes and should not require any :) It may recommend one
>> but not for technical reasons but for simplicity.
>
> Yup, but currently QtMoko cant do autodetection, i doubt that SHR and Android
> can do it (will they found my mp3 on random partition?).
>
>> This means:
>>
>> p1 - ext or FAT for e.g. QtMoko, SHR, anything else
>> p2 - ext or FAT for e.g. QtMoko, SHR, anything else
>> p3 - ext or FAT for e.g. QtMoko, SHR, anything else
>> p4 - ext or FAT for e.g. QtMoko, SHR, anything else
>>
>> If it already is, it is fine and we are doing a shadow discussion...
>
> With Qtmoko it is after manually editing /etc/fstab and Storage.conf.
>
> If you dont want to edit those files use my scheme. If you want different
> scheme, edit them - after all it's just two lines...

I had proposed to find an automatic way (my eeePC can do it on
a Debian system). For me that is simply more important than having
more than 4 partitions.

> For me this topic is finished now.

Sorry for being insistent:

Can QtMoko (v50) be installed and operated without gta04-init?
Or can gta04-init be removed after installation?

Best regards,
Nikolaus

[1]: http://omappedia.org/wiki/Bootloader_Project#Second_Stage_Boot