[Gta04-owner] QtMoko v49

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Thu Nov 22 12:57:52 CET 2012

On Thursday, November 22, 2012 09:35:06, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> Am 22.11.2012 um 10:23 schrieb Griera:
>
> > Hi:
> >
> > On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 09:59:00 +0100
> > "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Radek,

> >> Looks very complicated to me and makes it even more difficult to burn
> >> a working SD card than before.
> >
> > Difficult, but only have to do once. And the advantage is that you can
> > have multiple distributions on one card for testing.
>
> Yes, but IMHO it can be simplified even more by not requiring a specific
> scheme by QtMoko.
>
> The latest bootloader supports to have up to 4 different distributions on
> one SD.
>
> Unfortunately we didn't hear any recent progress form Replicant.
>

> > Regards. Griera.

> >> The FAT partition is intended to be used only on a separate SD card to flash
> >> the bootloader. Since this is probably not done every day and is best done
> >> through the hw-validation image (which needs 2 partitions incompatible to
> >> your scheme), I would simply ignore that special case for a QtMoko SD card.

> >> The other question I have is why QtMoko needs to recommend a SHR partition?
> >>
> >> Since I am a friend of "KISS", I would recommend that every distro simply
> >> is expanded to any (properly) formatted *single* partition.
> >>
> >> So if the SD has 4 partitions it is like 4 disks on a single physical rack.
> >> And the AUX boot menu allows to choose which disk. If it only has one - fine!
> >>
> >> If the user wants to have a FAT media partition, let him create one and
> >> make the distro search/find/mount it.
> >>
> >> The above scheme could IMHO be recommended by gta04-init and not
> >> by QtMoko since it is a third stage bootloader.
> >>
> >> Just my 3ct,
> >> Nikolaus

I'm inclined to prefer more simplicity here.  I'd like:

p1: distro 1 e.g. QtMoko
p2: distro 2 e.g. SHR
p3: distro 3 e.g. Replicant
p4: media, maps, docs
NAND: bootloader, Debian/LXDE

Demonstrating multiple OSes is important for me as part of showing off how cool the GTA04 is.  (And also when there are specific applications only provided by one OS.)

For rescue I'm happy to use a separate SD card, so I don't need an initial FAT partition in my main card.

If the bootloader already allows me to choose between the distros, I don't think I need gta04-init anymore - Radek, does gta04-init have other benefits that I'm missing?

Regards,
Neil