[Gta04-owner] QtMoko v49

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Nov 22 09:59:00 CET 2012

Hi Radek,

Am 22.11.2012 um 09:13 schrieb Radek Polak:

> On Thursday, November 22, 2012 01:44:59 AM EdorFaus wrote:
>
>> The reason this is not possible, is because one of p1..p4 is used up by
>> the extended partition that contains the remaining partitions (as the
>> primary table only has room for 4, and we have to know where to find the
>> rest).
>
> Yup i have noticed it now too. So for next QtMoko release the recommended
> partition scheme is:
>
> p1 - small fat - used for gta04-init and for upgrading the NAND bootloader
> p2 - ext4 with rootfs for QtMoko
> p3 - ext3 with rootfs for SHR
> p4 - extended partition
> p5 - FAT with media
> p6..p9 - optinal - can be used for more distros, that use gta04-init

Looks very complicated to me and makes it even more difficult to burn
a working SD card than before.

> So this enables us to boot 2 distros on SD from the bootloader menu and
> inifinitely more using gta04-init.
>
> This looks like only sane schema to me. We cant skip the first FAT because you
> would have no way to flash new bootloader then. And also gta04-init is using

The FAT partition is intended to be used only on a separate SD card to flash
the bootloader. Since this is probably not done every day and is best done
through the hw-validation image (which needs 2 partitions incompatible to
your scheme), I would simply ignore that special case for a QtMoko SD card.

> it for the advanced booting to extended partitions and to chroots.
>
> We also cant skip the p4 since we need separate partition for media.

The other question I have is why QtMoko needs to recommend a SHR partition?

Since I am a friend of "KISS", I would recommend that every distro simply
is expanded to any (properly) formatted *single* partition.

So if the SD has 4 partitions it is like 4 disks on a single physical rack.
And the AUX boot menu allows to choose which disk. If it only has one - fine!

If the user wants to have a FAT media partition, let him create one and
make the distro search/find/mount it.

The above scheme could IMHO be recommended by gta04-init and not
by QtMoko since it is a third stage bootloader.

Just my 3ct,