[Gta04-owner] QtMoko v49

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Mon Nov 19 14:08:00 CET 2012

On Monday, November 19, 2012 11:35:03 AM Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> Yes, I see that there are benefits and therefore it should not be simply
> removed. But it makes booting more complex than it needs to be.
>
> My impression is that most (new) owners of a GTA04 (at least initially)
> just want to have an SD card with a single image to install on some SD and
> put it into the GTA04. Then it should boot just that image.

Oki, i think i know how to make it work that way:

I can make the initramfs screen [1] display only if the first partition is FAT
and if the gta04-init directory is present. It can do straight boot into
partition that was specified by "root=/dev/xxx"

So it should behave like normal kernel without initramfs.

Users that want to use the advanced gta04-init features will have option to
format firts partition as FAT and make the gta04-init directory. Then they can
use it like now...

Does this sound good?

> Or make it boot right through to QtMoko until someone enables it to have
> more features?

Yes, with above ^^^ it should be possible.

> Hm. Can you swap p5&p6? This would make it easier to define the partition
> size for media to use everything until end-of-disk.

Hmm maybe it would be best to get rid of swap at all. I have checked memory
under QtMoko - it's like 80MB used. If someone needs more then 400MB for
something he can setup swapfile...

> Ah, I see. But I think this may make the SD hang on second boot (unless
> you have compiled the second partition into the kernel on the FAT
> partition). Because the latest u-boot/boot.scr finds a kernel in FAT
> but no bootargs.scr and tries to boot the NAND jffs.

Ahh oki, so if i want to boot from FAT i need to provide both uImage and
bootargs.scr? I though it can work without bootargs.scr

Regards

Radek

[1] the screen with SD, NAND, 1.sh and 2.sh pictures