[Gta04-owner] New U-Boot, Multi-Boot-Menu, recommendations for Distros

arne anka openmoko at ginguppin.de
Fri Nov 16 22:53:27 CET 2012

> B) installing kernel and rootfs on SD card(s)
>
> * format your SD card with one or more ext2/3/4 partition(s) - no need
>    for using makesd any more
> * install the system(s) you like to the partition(s) [make sure the
> kernel
>    and the bootargs.scr is found in /boot]
> * just power on to boot from SD. This will boot the last choosen system.
> * if you want to boot a different system, power on with AUX button
>    pressed and choose the first partition to be searched for by the
>    SD:1 ... SD:4 buttons
> * you can also choose to boot from NAND - in this case the SD card
>    is skipped even if there is a valid Linux system
> * the boot order is stored in NAND flash so that the next power on
>    will use the same search order. The result may be different of course
>    if you have swapped the SD card...

doesn't work for me with the squeeze-lxde.tbz.
i created 4 ext4 partitions, expanded the squeeze-lxde.tbz to the first
and copied

boot.scr
bootargs.scr
menu.rgb16z
splash.rgb16z
uImage

 from http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/20121030-GTA04-Production/ to its
boot/ directory.
still, it never boots from SD but always from NAND.

while i am at it:
- how can i enable boot messages? i really don't like this awkward silence
with only a penguin
- how do i compile boot.scr/bootargs.scr from the *txt files?
- how do i know what exactly is booted (with the lxde image in both NAND
and on SD its  difficult to tell which one booted w/o loggin via ssh or
checking in terminal)