[Gta04-owner] QtMoko - another experimental image

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Thu Nov 15 09:25:34 CET 2012

Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz> writes:

> Hi,
> you can now try another experimental pre release here [1]. QtMoko now uses
> pulseaudio+gstreamer for sounds.

I found that I needed "xapt -a armel -m libpulse-dev" to build the
latest code (093cf8925316ba8e43cab119d888006c8e6b03ea).  I think that's
the same as adding libpulse-dev to the big "xapt -a armel ..." line in
scripts/qtmoko-chroot.sh, and presumably libpulse-dev should also be
added to the Debian Build-Deps.

(BTW I noticed an unrelated difference between Build-Deps and the xapt
line, for libjpeg8-dev.)

I haven't installed that QtMoko build yet on my phone, because
pulseaudio won't start up for me by hand:

  root at neo:~# pulseaudio
  W: main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is specified).
  E: module-console-kit.c: GetSessionsForUnixUser() call failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: Failed to execute program /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper: Success
  E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-console-kit" (argument: ""): initialization failed.
  E: main.c: Module load failed.
  E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.

With --system it's better, and doesn't exit, but there are some
discouraging warnings:

  root at neo:~# pulseaudio --system
  W: main.c: Running in system mode, but --disallow-exit not set!
  W: main.c: Running in system mode, but --disallow-module-loading not set!
  N: main.c: Running in system mode, forcibly disabling SHM mode!
  N: main.c: Running in system mode, forcibly disabling exit idle time!
  W: main.c: OK, so you are running PA in system mode. Please note that you most likely shouldn't be doing that.
  W: main.c: If you do it nonetheless then it's your own fault if things don't work as expected.
  W: main.c: Please read http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/WhatIsWrongWithSystemMode for an explanation why system mode is usually a bad idea.
  W: module.c: module-detect is deprecated: Please use module-udev-detect instead of module-detect!
  W: main.c: Failed to acquire org.pulseaudio.Server: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Connection ":1.17" is not allowed to own the service "org.pulseaudio.Server" due to security policies in the configuration file
  W: ratelimit.c: 15 events suppressed
  ^C
  root at neo:~#

Should we be using --system?  If so, are those warnings OK?  If not, is
there something else needed in the rootfs to allow successful startup
(without --system)?

Regards,
        Neil