[Gta04-owner] RS232 cable in Berlin?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Nov 5 08:14:56 CET 2012

Hi,

Am 04.11.2012 um 16:54 schrieb Sam Muirhead:

> Hi,
>
> I wrote a couple of weeks ago about my troubles getting started with the GTA04, and had some useful feedback.
> The conclusion was that my next step should be to erase the U-Boot environment via a RS232 cable.
> I've tried directly contacting a couple of people here in Berlin who have been involved in this project, but I haven't yet had any luck finding someone able to lend me a cable.
> Nikolaus, are there any more RS232 cables for sale?

Yes, we can produce as many as needed...

> Is there anybody on the list in Berlin or nearby who has this cable? Any other suggestions for how I can get hold of one?
> Please get in touch!

But there is now another option to erase the U-Boot-Environment. The latest boot-loader
has a variant that erases and therefore restores the environment to a defined state.
It can be booted from SD card if the AUX/User button pressed on power-up.

Steps:

1. install the latest hw-validation image from<http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/20121030-GTA04-Production/>
on a SD card that is properly partitioned and formatted. I think you don't have to care about the special #cylinders etc.
since there is already an X-Loader in NAND. And you may skip the installation of the Kernel/Root-Filesystem.

But to be safe, adapt the makesd script to your Linux host.

2. insert this SD card

3. press and hold the AUX button

4. insert battery

5. hold the AUX for a little more time

6. the screen should go on and turn completely red. This indicates that the environment is being erased and the latest boot system is installed