[Gta04-owner] gps and compass

Benjamin Deering ben_deering at swissmail.org
Sat Nov 3 13:40:34 CET 2012

On 11/03/2012 06:21 AM, Rico Rommel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently got my gta04 and have some trouble with gps and hmc5883.
>
> kernel is v3.5, gpsd is v3.6
>
> gpsd in sirf mode doesn' get a fix.
> If i stop gpsd and run gpsmon /dev/ttyO1 it uses nmea mode and gets a fix after
> a few seconds. After that gpsd gets a fix in sirf mode too. It works until
> battery is removed. After removing battery I have to run gpsmon again to make
> it work.
>
> And second, how the hmc5883 sensor can be used?
> Values, read for examle from /sys/bus/iio/devices/iio:device1/in_magn_y_raw,
> do not change, if the device is moved.
I found that I could not use the compass when the gta04 board is
installed in a case with speakers, but it worked well outside of the
case.  There seem to be some other sysfs files for the compass that
could possibly apply a bias to counteract the speakers.  When I wrote
anything to those files, I got a kernel error.  It could be an issue in
the module.