[Gta04-owner] qwerty keyboard

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 22:05:57 CET 2012

On Thursday 01 November 2012 13:56:25 George Refseth wrote:
> On 11/01/2012 12:58 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> >>
> >> I had this idea too :) I think this could be doable and quite unique
> >> solution.

> >> This could be in fact very easy to prototype. I have bluetooth keyboard.
> >> I can glue it to the backcover of GTA04 and see how it works.
> >
> > It is planned for the next PCB design (GTA04A5) to add a small 6 pin FFC
> > connector for such experiments. It will have an 1.8V I2C, 1.8V, Reset and
> > an Keyboard Interrupt line. This is optimized for a TCA8418 keyboard
> > controller but other use is possible.
>
> I was thinking of something more like a multi-touch pad, and not a
> predefined fixed keyboard, especially since it is flipped and depending
> on circumstance would have to be operated with different numbers of
> fingers/hands, the feedback would be visual from the display or audio.
> It would then be sleeker and not need protection/care as would a keyboard.
>
> Basically a high resolution multi-touch screen without the screen.

That defies the call for "hardware keyboard", or stretches the definition to
the limit ;-)

I think there was a thread about chorded keyboards, a while back. To implement
something like that, would a multi-touch area be preferable, or a row of keys
connected to a keyboard controller? Or a multi touch area with some mask over
it, to give some tactile feedback?

Best regards,

Boudewijn