[Gta04-owner] GTA04 Production Status

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Nov 1 11:29:57 CET 2012

Am 01.11.2012 um 11:08 schrieb Folken:

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 08:51:23PM +0100, Christoph wrote:
>>> .------------------.
>>> /                    \
>>> | +-----------------+ |
>>> | |                 | |
>>> | |                 | |
>>> | |                 | |
>>> | |                 | |
>>> | |                 | |
>>> | |                 | |
>>> | |                 | |
>>> | |                 | |
>>> | |                 | |
>>> | |                 | |
>>> | +-----------------+ |
>>> |                     |
>>> | q w e r t y u i o p |
>>> | a s d f g h j k l ; |
>>> | z x c v b n m , .   |
>>> \____________________/
>>>

>>> Anyone like this?
>> I think this is a great idea! It's much easier to use, I think.
>
> As an avid qwerty hardware keyboard on mobile device fan.. HW keyboards
> are not that easy to get right.
>
> Best HW keyboards so far:
> * Zaurus 5500 (Raised keys, with large spaces around it. The device can
> be held in both hands, and both thumbs can type great.

I did not really like this keyboard any more after having a C860 in my hands...

> * Orange SPV M5000 (Easy to hit keys, one just slides across the surface
> and easly makes out the keys)
> * Zaurus SL-3000 (Well spaced, with great feedback)

Yes, I agree. For me it was the most ergonomic keyboard type handheld
device I have worked with.

Unfortunately it is in landscape format and therefore can not be
placed at the bottom of a handheld without making the keyboard
smaller or the device wider.

So what do you think about a new clamshell PDA sized like a C3xxx
(but this time with GTA04 technology inside? I.e. integrated UMTS, WLAN, BT
etc.). A Zaurus has more space than a Freerunner case...

> The worst:
> * Motorolla Milestone (I can't type on this one)
> * Nokia n810  (Hard to press keys and you have to depress them into the
> device)
> * HTC Desire Z (more or less ok, but still high error rate)
> * Palm Centro (more or less ok, but still high error rate)
>
> I'd have a good look at the old zaurus and think of a similar system.

I did a small video comparing some devices from the collection and also some ideas:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGASnE1zGh4>

IMHO the main problem with integrated keyboards is that the keyboard
and the display are in the same orientation. This makes either typing
difficult or reading the display. To optimize both it should be possible to
tilt keyboard or display.

In the mean time it turned out that 3D printing such a keyboard is beyond
current precision of 3D printing services.