[Gta04-owner] Antwort: Re: How to bring forward the community?

Norayr Chilingarian norayr at arnet.am
Wed Feb 29 10:57:57 CET 2012

There is a replacement gsm firmware for some cheap motorola mobile phones, as well as for gta02 radio. However, as far as I know free gsm firmware for gta04 boards does not exist(yet).
Also, with free gsm firmware carrier may not be able to use our phones to spy on us by remotely listening everything we talk, however, carrier still may keep all our talk recordings, and all our smses.
So how I use my smartphones, including openmoko gta02 is just I don't have any sim card inside. Then I use pidgin with ssl connection to connect to my own jabber server.
This way google knows about my talks with gtalk jabber buddies, but not with jabber.org buddies, and, most importantly, google is not a local carrier, which can give info on every request by local security services.
Sometimes I think that using data only sim card may help, but prefer to stick to public and own wifi connections when possible.
So I think we need to educate people, so they understand that carriers eventully must become just another internet providers.
Not more, not less. More people use phones as jabber clients, sooner carriers will turn into internet providers.
Norayr