[Gta04-owner] How to bring forward the community?

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Mon Feb 27 23:48:17 CET 2012

Sven Dyroff <S.Dyroff at phytec.de> writes:

> Currently it's a pity that people like me are to stress a high sophisticated
> mailinglist like this with low-level questions and given answers are lost for
> others, who join to this list later. At least answers given to my questions I
> would be happy if I could preserve them in such a way for upcoming users.

Actually I really disagree with that.  I think early-use emails like
yours are very important, and I'm very grateful that you (and others
like you) take the time to note and report your first experiences
carefully.  I wouldn't want the existence of a Wiki to discourage people
from reporting their experiences directly to the mailing list; and also
it's so easy for a Wiki to contain out of date or misleading
information.

To me, mailing lists have the great advantage of covering 'live'
issues.  If something is important but not fixed, it will be raised
again on the list, and that helps us all to understand that it is (a)
important and (b) still a problem.

Regards,
       Neil