[Gta04-owner] Modem crashing?

Butrus Damaskus butrus.butrus at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 14:29:55 CET 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 7:37 AM, Marcel Holtmann <marcel at holtmann.org> wrote:
> Hi Butrus,

>> > we poll every 500ms since that is the expected latency that we can
>> > expect from a user. Anything less we result in bad user experience.
>> >
>> > Would you be willing to wait 5 seconds before your display shows that
>> > the remote party hung up the call?
>>
>> If that would save the battery significantly than yes, 5 seconds
>> aren't that much (note that many VOIP phones
>> do wait 5 seconds before dialing a number). I would say that you poll
>> no more than once in 2 seconds, since anything below that isn't really
>> noticed by the average user...
>
> waiting for 2 seconds before you see if a remote party hang up the call
> or if the network disconnected you is a life time.

I strongly disagree.

> Do not underestimate
> this. There is a reason why we are polling every 500ms. Even polling
> every second gives you are bad user experience.

No, it is ok with the average user.

> And this is not only for active calls, this is also for establishing a
> call. Since you need to figure out when it starts ringing on the other
> side and when the other side picked up. Here again, 2 seconds would be a
> lifetime and noticeable by the user.

This is simply not true. Check VOIP phones that _typically_ wait 3-5
seconds before establishing a call and it is ok with the vaste
majority of users.

>> > And you need at least second precision for the call history.
>>
>> This really doesn't seem to me important, especially when receiving a call.
>
> Seriously funny answer. In other countries receiving calls costs money
> (or your minutes) as well.

I'm living in civilized country ;-)

> Fundamentally you have to decide if you want a phone or just a toy.

Exactly, therefore is the battery life much more important than a
second or two of waiting at the end of the call...