[Gta04-owner] Modem crashing?

Marcel Holtmann marcel at holtmann.org
Sat Feb 18 07:37:10 CET 2012

Hi Butrus,

> >> Really _constant_? Would it be enough to wake once in 2 or 5 seconds
> >> (or so)? How much time would one "poll" take? If e.g. it would take
> >> say 100ms and you wake every 5 seconds (for example), the overall
> >> power consumption would be reduced drastically...
> >
> > we poll every 500ms since that is the expected latency that we can
> > expect from a user. Anything less we result in bad user experience.
> >
> > Would you be willing to wait 5 seconds before your display shows that
> > the remote party hung up the call?
>
> If that would save the battery significantly than yes, 5 seconds
> aren't that much (note that many VOIP phones
> do wait 5 seconds before dialing a number). I would say that you poll
> no more than once in 2 seconds, since anything below that isn't really
> noticed by the average user...

waiting for 2 seconds before you see if a remote party hang up the call
or if the network disconnected you is a life time. Do not underestimate
this. There is a reason why we are polling every 500ms. Even polling
every second gives you are bad user experience.

And this is not only for active calls, this is also for establishing a
call. Since you need to figure out when it starts ringing on the other
side and when the other side picked up. Here again, 2 seconds would be a
lifetime and noticeable by the user.

> > And you need at least second precision for the call history.
>
> This really doesn't seem to me important, especially when receiving a call.

Seriously funny answer. In other countries receiving calls costs money
(or your minutes) as well.

Fundamentally you have to decide if you want a phone or just a toy.

Regards

Marcel