[Gta04-owner] where did reg-virt-consumer.4 go (WLAN)?

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Thu Feb 16 00:37:29 CET 2012

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 00:10:03 +0100 Boudewijn <wankelwankel at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Since switching to linux 3.2 I have not used WIFI. I tried to power on the
> chip, but the address to echo 1 into is not available:
>
> root at neo:/home/root/scritps# ls /sys/class/gpio/
> export   gpio145  gpio23  gpiochip0    gpiochip160  gpiochip212  gpiochip64
> unexport
> gpio144  gpio176  gpio55  gpiochip128  gpiochip192  gpiochip32   gpiochip96
> root at neo:/home/root/scritps#
>

> root at neo:/home/root/scritps# ls /sys/devices/platform/reg-virt-consumer.
> reg-virt-consumer.1/ reg-virt-consumer.2/ reg-virt-consumer.3/

you don't need any of those hacks with 3.2.  The wifi "just works".

If you configure the interface it will power up, if you de-configure it it
will power down.

You can also use 'rfkill' to force it to power-down.

> I have the firmware at /lib/firmware, and ran the same commands as in
> /opt/qtmoko/bin/wifi-poweron,sh and on the "wireless" page [1]
>
> By the way, [1] mentions ttyHS3 being renamed to ttyHS4 during startup. That
> does not help so much, other than that the renaming has been noted before,
> under somewhat different conditions than after an incoming call.
>
> (which log would I check, apart from dmesg,
>

> [1] http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/page/Wireless/

The best thing to do is to create
  /etc/udev/rules.d/hso.rules

containing the one line

SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="ttyHS*", ATTR{hsotype}=="?*", SYMLINK+="ttyHS_$attr{hsotype}"

and then use
    /dev/ttyHS_Modem

It will be a stable name - a symlink to whichever of ttyHSxx is the 'Modem'
port.

(you might need to reboot or run "udevadm trigger --action=add" the first
time to get the symlinks made).

NeilBrown