[Gta04-owner] Beta Tester's Report

Sven Dyroff S.Dyroff at phytec.de
Mon Feb 13 09:34:27 CET 2012

Hello Christoph, Radek and all others,

thank you for your answers and your further inquiries. Over the weekend I
played around some more with QtMoko and I can tell you the following:

Starting the phone
I always have to boot it twice. After poweron and first boot it will hang
showing the numeric keypad and the message "Please Wait...". I can touch
numbers but I don't have an unlock button. I have to press the power
button instead and choose "Restart Device". Only after the second boot I
get the message "Enter PIN then press Unlock".

Power management
I charge the battery completely. After constantly seeing five balks
"Applications" / "NeoControl" shows me:
    Capacity: 100
    Voltage: 4184000
    Charge: 1097775 (which indeed seems to be maximum)
    Energy: 3946380 (which indeed seems to be maximum)
    Temperature: 316
I switch off the Phone by pressing the power button and choosing "Shutdown
Device", then I remove the power supply. After twelve hours lying on my
table by a constant surrounding temperature of 17-19 °C I switch it on
again and after having the chance to enter my PIN, I see only three balks.
"NeoControl" shows me:
    Capacity: 62
    Voltage: 3853000
    Charge: 678657 (constantly decreasing)
    Energy: 2500980 (constantly decreasing)
    Temperature: 266
The secret service of which country had access to my phone in the
meantime?

Power supply
With an USB connection to a PC or with an USB AC adapter from a Sony
Ericsson handy (that obviously activly replies to USB requests) I got no
problems. But with a simple USB AC adapter that only delivers power
without reacting on USB requests I got very strange results. First the
phone didn't react at all. Later the icon in the upper right corner showed
charging. So never I would have expected that after some time of charging
I'll suddenly get the message that the battery is about to run very low.
Much more surprised I've been to see that after removing the supply the
icon still showed charging and charging and charging and charging......

Outgoing calls
It's 100% reproducible and doesn't matter when you try it. You call a
number, let it ring once or twice, then touch "End Call". The called phone
will continue to ring as long until you it pick up and listen to the busy
signal you'll get after a short pause.

Incoming calls
I made a little mistake in my previous description. The phone doesn't ring
only once but four or five times until it says "missed call". Then it
continues to ring four or five times until it says "missed call" again,
and so on. But when trying it again and again, I found that sometimes
there's a little bit different behaviour. Then it rings only two times,
then makes a pause of some seconds, then it rings five times again, then
it throws the "missed calls" message and then it continues to ring and to
ring and to ring although the calling phone already gives you the mailbox
of the called number. In the end I can tell you that in 100% of all tries
it never behaved like it should, but I cannot tell you when it will make
what.

Erasing "Missed call" messages
Thanks to your hint I found a way that works. When having the list with
all the "missed call" messages, you call the menu and choose "clear".
You'll get a screen titled "Clear Call History". Press on "missed calls"
and get the question "Are you sure you want to delete: all missed items?".
Touch "Yes" and the phone says "Missed Calls" "No items". After that,
they're ALL really gone.
But what if you only want to delete some of them? That's the way I tried
first and for 100% it doesn't work although it should. Just get the list
of "missed calls". Touch one of them in order to see its details. THEN
call the menu and choose "delete". You'll get the question "Delete Call
History Item" "Are you sure you want to delete this item from the call
history?". Choose "yes" and wonder why the item is still there...

Net strength
After having typed in the PIN the GTA04 searches for net. Then for a short
time it reports highly available net with four or even five balks and a
"G" aside. But then it goes down to one or two balks, shows a "3" aside
and remains there at this very low level. Why? I always get this effect.

Handling the touch
I like that the GTA04 has a resistive touch. So it detects very precisely
where you touch it when using a pen. But it's not quite accurate to detect
how long you touch it. Choose the "Games" menu and try to play
"Minesweeper". I bet you're not able to flag at least three mines, because
you'll explore before. OK, I didn't spend 854 EUR in order to play
"Minesweeper", but I tell you that because there are some other menues
where I get a long list of items, unfortunately without a TOUCHABLE slider
aside. Just call "Devtools" for example and try to get through the list.
Again and again it will happen that you unintentionally choose an item.
Then a terminal session opens and something happens what you never wanted
and where at least I don't know what it is. Very very nasty!
Other long menu without touchable slider is the "Settings" menu. Again and
again I choosed items I never wanted to choose when trying to slide up or
down. But at least in this case no actions started at once, where only
Gurus know what they do. In this case at least I always had the chance to
touch the "back" item or choose to get some help in order to explore where
I was.
But there are wonderful fine working examples where you can see what I
want. Try "Settings" / "Application Services" or "Applications" / "System
Info". Please place these thouchable sliders aside every list or long
menu!

Display backlight
It's interesting to find the possibility to dim the backlight or to set up
a time after that it switches off automatically within the "Power
Management" and not within the "Appearance" item of the "Settings" menu,
but thanks to your hint I finally found it. But that only solves half of
the problem. The other half remains unsolved: What if you lock your phone
by touching the "Lock" item of the main screen and then put the phone into
your pocket? At every little touch the diplay and its backlight go on
again and again until the battery is empty. I would expect that one second
after I locked the phone the display will switch off despite how long I
set up the time (in my case I set it up to one MINUTE, otherwise I would
not have been able to play a game like "Fifteen Pieces"...). And then I
would expect that I need to press the power button for a short time in
order to switch it on again.
Currently after locking the phone display backlight will switch off after
20 seconds despite how long I set up the time. And please tell me: Why on
earth does it switch on periodically every 4 minutes again and again for
another 20 seconds each while lying somewhere being locked and not being
touched???

Internet
OK, I found the correspondence you mentioned. But sorry, I need a
translation for bloody beginners. Already the first advice is a mystery
for me: "0/ connect to /dev/ttyHS3  (others might work)". What does this
mean? Do I really need to connect the phone with a PC in order to get
mobile internet? Not very practical because intrinsically  I bought the
GTA04 in order to be able to let my PC at home when I want to surf for
example in a bus......
Please give me a chance to find out if "Arora" really is a browser because
I never heared this name before. And within the conversation it has been
said that you're able to manage your mails with the GTA04. What program
offers QtMoko for reading and writing Mails?

Installing my own Applications
For example there's an ARM-version of Firefox available. How do I install
programs like that under QtMoko? I extra bought a fast and big SD-card in
order to be able to make such experiments without failing due to low or
slow memory...

The last question
What does it mean when the power button shines green instead of red?

Best regards,
   Sven