[Gta04-owner] Flashing new GTA04 so that they work out of the box

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Feb 10 11:46:46 CET 2012

Am 10.02.2012 um 11:38 schrieb Radek Polak:

> On Friday 10 February 2012 11:18:23 Christoph Mair wrote:
>
>> It might be possible to offer a "Demo SD card" where the user can boot
>> into each distro, play around and then flash whatever he likes most.
>> As I said, we are working on this. If someone already has such a setup
>> I'd be happy to get a copy ;-)
>
> If it helped you, i can try to cook up something like that. Should i try?
>
> However one thing is still not solved with this "Demo SD card". If you
> loose/damage the card then you are again at the point where you have to do the
> non-trival partitioning of SD card.

Yes, this cries for some automatic method.

> If there was working rootfs in NAND, you could insert empty SD card, boot from
> NAND and make bootable SD card from there.

All these sound like good ideas.

Well, could we add these to QtMoko (locked if the boot was from boot SD)

* "Format bootable SD"
* "Install from Net to SD"
* "Install from SD to NAND"

Then, we could flash this QtMoko version into NAND and everyone has a booting
device - even without SD - and still can create a bootable SD to play with?

One issue is that it would mangle default bootloader, u-boot and kernel development
into QtMoko. Currently they are developed independently.

Another aspect to think of: how stable are download links? Or such links must
go to download.gta04.org. Or must be fetched from there.