[Gta04-owner] Antwort: Re: Amazing adventures with a brandnew GTA04...

Christoph Mair christoph.mair at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 17:53:42 CET 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Jack Jones <sanctuarys3172 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sven Did you formatt sd card with 2 partitions then place "MLO" and "U-Boot"
> on the correct parts of the SD(just confirm this is correct)MLO has to be
> the first file copied when I tried this it only showed up as "Lost and
> Found" file on the card,would be nice to see these files first.

Try this script:
http://cgit.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/openembedded/plain/contrib/angstrom/omap3-mkcard.sh
It will create two partitions and format them. Then mount the first
(fat) partition, copy MLO from
http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/unstable/ to it. Then copy all the
other files: u-boot.bin, boot.scr, menu.rgb16z, splash.rgb16z,
user.scr and x-load.flash to this partition. Then copy the kernel
uImage file and umount.
This should be enough to get a nice splashscreen. Try to press the AUX
button during boot to get to a small menu.

If this works, you can extract a distribution to the second partition.

> I understand the gta04 is "Unbrickable"--how true is this?

It is quite unbrickable because it can boot from different sources:
If you flashed it to death it can still boot from SD. Just press the
AUX button to skip booting from NAND.
If you heavily damaged your SD slot you can boot using the serial
debug cable. It won't boot linux but its enough to be able to fix your
flash.
Boot over USB is possible too, but I don't know how to set this up.

Hope that helps,
  Christoph