[Gta04-owner] Amazing adventures with a brandnew GTA04...

Christoph Mair christoph.mair at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 12:59:55 CET 2012

Hi Sven,

I'll try to answer a few questions:

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Sven Dyroff <S.Dyroff at phytec.de> wrote:
> OK, I became more brave. I explored the telephone settings, searching for
> the possibility to enter my APN. After little time I found it. I got the
> field "APN" and a blinking cursor. But how on earth should I enter letters
> with a touch without showing a keyboard?

In this mode, full screen handwriting recognition should be active,
IIRC. Try to draw some strokes on the screen and see what happens.

> I tried and found a menu with the
> entry "change input method" and with that I got a keyboard shown. It showed
> only letters. How should I enter the period with that, needed for the APN?
> No chance! No period!   :-(    I thought that all the others of you (the
> GTA04-community) also must have managed to enter their APN and so I began a
> struggle with the GTA04 and after some time and only by accident I got
> another keyboard. It was such microscopic little that it was impossible to
> decode the meaning of some keys, but at least it offered me a period. So I
> won the fight! I succeded to enter the two periods for the APN.    \o/  \o/
>  \o/

You can use the "change input method" menu entry a few times to cycle
through different keyboards.

> Of course my next step was to search for a browser. But in this case, the
> GTA04 won the fight. I searched and searched and searched, but couldn't find
> a browser. Is there one already included in QtMoko v39 ?

I think I've seen Arora in the application menu.

> I played some more with some features I found randomly and more and more I
> got the impression that it's really nice and lovely. Yes I already really
> like it! And while you're fixing lots of crazy bugs (yes, when ordering the
> GTA04 from Golden Delicious I've been aware that this will be my ticket for
> entering a mine field...) I only have some more hopefully simple questions:

> - How can I use IrDA if I don't want to open the case in order to access
> UART3 with a terminal from my Ubuntu 11.04 PC?

You have to toggle some gpio, but I can't remember the number. Then
the serial output is switched over to IrDA. Tx should work, Rx was not
tested yet. To get best results (or make it working at all) a special
kernel driver is needed which  enables the IrDA mode on this
interface. This one is still missing.

> - How can I switch off the display? It doesn't make any sence that it's
> constantly on even when not being used for hours?

Wasn't there a autosuspend setting somewhere?

  Christoph