[Gta04-owner] 3.0.8 kernel for Android/Replicant

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Sat Dec 1 22:18:39 CET 2012

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 22:13:24 +0100 Paul Kocialkowski <paulk at paulk.fr> wrote:

> During the last few days, I tried to come up with a working kernel for
> Android/Replicant 4.0. Usually, Android 4.0 devices use a 3.0.8 kernel,
> since other kernel versions have different features that are not
> compatible with the userspace Android. On gingerbread, we've been using
> Neil Brown's 3.2 kernel merged with an unofficial linaro 3.2 branch.
> This resulted in a kinda working kernel, where most of the basic
> features that are not Android-specific worked (screen, input, USB,
> audio, etc) but turned out to be a real nightmare for the
> Android-specific part (Android USB gadget was totally broken, no proper
> suspend/resume with earlysuspend, etc).
>
> Since Neil has been porting the GTA04-specific kernel modifications over
> different kernel versions (3.2, 3.3, 3.4 and 3.5) I thought it would be
> easier to grab a proper 3.0.8 kernel designed for Android on OMAP3
> boards. There is such a kernel available on omapzoom [1].
>
> So I am considering porting the GTA04-specific changes back to that
> 3.0.8 tree, in order to have all the Android features in place. I have
> already imported minor changes (panel and led drivers) but I am unsure
> about what to do with the board file and the omap3 changes. So I'm
> wondering if someone used to dealing with GTA04 kernel aspects could
> help me figuring out which changes are needed, given that the omapzoom
> tree already comes with a share of omap3-specific improvements.

I would just try copying bit out of my 3.2 kernel into the 3.0, try to
compile, see what breaks, and fix it.  Then try to run and see what breaks...
Then probably pull some other stuff out of a more recent kernel.  e.g. I
think wifi didn't really work nicely until a later kernel.

Do you have a tree on github or somewhere with the bits you've already
back-ported?  I could pull that and have a look and see what needs doing.

I must admit that I'd rather be working on a new kernel than an old kernel,
but then we'd need to hack on the user-space to get it to use auto-suspend
instead of wakelocks which might be messier.

NeilBrown