[Gta04-owner] QtMoko mic volume

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Mon Aug 27 21:28:25 CEST 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-27 at 18:53 +0100, Neil Jerram wrote:
> Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 13:44:20 +0100
> > Neil Jerram <neil at ossau.homelinux.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Therefore, _maybe_ the only change that A3 needs is for the "Voice
> >> route" control to be "Voice to SoC" instead of "Voice to twl4030".
> >>
> > I am quite sure I have tested the Voice to SoC setting with software routing.
> > I see  no reason why that should not work in a A3. So just a separate audio
> > state file for A3 and the software routing daemon should be enough.
>
> I've confirmed now that this works.  Radek, please could you include the
> first patch below in the next QtMoko?
>
> In addition, I found a better experience from reducing the mic capture
> volume a bit, and increasing the playback volume; a separate patch for
> that is also below.
>
> (Both changes are relative to the v47 state files; for v48 I guess they
> may need manual merging because of the kernel change.)
>
> During testing I saw some minor problems.  I think they're unrelated to
> the HW/SW routing switch, and also don't affect operation most of the
> time, but for the record:
>
> - On the first call attempt after a reboot, I sometimes got no audio at
>   all.  But the second and later calls were always fine.
>
> - From looking at AudioState logging, I think the alsactl commands often
>   generate warning output.  The calling code interprets this as an error
>   and repeats the alsactl up to 8 times.  This is inefficient, but I
>   don't think it has an observable bad effect.
>
> > Very important should also be the clock priority setting
> > (AVADC Clock Priority).
>
> Can you say more about that?  All the QtMoko state files have value
> "Voice high priority".  Is that correct?

It is about the samplerate of the ad converter in the twl4030. It gets
the samplerate of the higher priority path and then it gets resampled in
poor quality for the other path.  If I record audio on the
gta04 and play it back I hear a clear difference. If you use the
audio path to record data, it should be "HIFI high priority".
If you use the voice path (hardware routing on the GTA04A4,
"Voice high priority" is right).

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade