[Gta04-owner] Default cpufreq governor, 1Ghz on A4?

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Mon Aug 6 01:31:34 CEST 2012

On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 13:49:16 +0200 Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz> wrote:

> On Sunday, August 05, 2012 11:36:34 AM NeilBrown wrote:
>
> > > Btw is it possible to enable 1Gz for A4 model?
> >
> > There is a comment in that code somewhere which says:
> > 		/* TODO: MPU 1GHz needs SR and ABB */
> > Need I say more?
>
> Hmm I have no idea what it means ;-)
>
> Anyway 1GHz  is not big priority for me now, just wanted to ask.
>
> I am now trying to find out why my A4 is eating 32mA in suspend. It was quite
> stupid to hand out A3 so quickly, because i cant compare if it's because of HW
> or SW changes...

Probably due to phase of the moon.

I've found monitoring suspend current to be quite frustrating.  Little things
seem to have big effects.  Leaving the SIM card out seem to increase current
usage significant, but I have double-checked that one so I might be imagining
it.

Sometimes I get numbers around 25, sometimes around 33 or more and it is the
same kernel on the same hardware and I cannot identify anything that is
different.

I'm not sure I can help you solve your current problem - just letting you
know that you are not alone :-)

> Btw would you be interested if we donated you A4 model?

Funny you should ask....
A few days ago I would have said 'no', and I have done in the past.  But a
couple of things have changed my mind.

One is that I cannot use the GPS on my current board.  It hasn't worked
properly for a while and I speny yesterday afternoon looking into why.
It turns out that the capacitor between the internal antenna and the antenna
switch had come loose.  Don't know how, maybe it was loosed when I got the
switch IC changed and it took a while to stop working.
I tried fixing it is various ways but all I achieved was making a bigger mess.
(The external antenna hasn't worked for a while as the connector broke off).

Also I've become more aware of the value of regression testing and running
some length tests on a wide range of kernels.  Current usage tests in
particular take a while to get stable results.  So having a board that I
wasn't trying to use as a phone might be very helpful for that.

So yes:  I would be interested.  I'd put the A4 in my case and use it as my
phone, and I attach my current A3 to a little micro-server  I have and use it
as the primary development device - and build up a test suite to help find
regressions more effectively.

I'd be happy to pay for postage down under, and a second debug cable as I
think I would find that quite useful.

Thanks,
NeilBrown