[Gta04-owner] gta04 audio patches

John Ogness gta04 at ogness.net
Mon Sep 5 00:11:21 CEST 2011

On 2011-09-04, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
> The drivers are called and initialized.
> But there is still just one sound card in the ALSA device list.

Are the codec devices being created? Let us take gta04-voice as an
example. You need to create a platform device that uses the
"gtm601_codec_audio" driver. This is typically done in:

arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-omap3gta04.c

The code in "sound/soc/codecs/gtm601.c" only defines the driver, but
it does not create the device.

The "twl4030" device is being created because you are registering it
as an i2c device (and it is responding to the i2c probe).

I do not know how the other audio devices are wired, so I don't know
what the appropriate way is to create the other devices. This is
something that you must do.

> What I have not done is to touch the template code, since e.g. the
> GTM601 interface has no controls to present to the user.

The template code should work enough that all 4 codecs bind to the
ALSA cards. (But as I mentioned, you have to create the codec
devices.)

> I have pushed all the changes to the git repo although they don't
> work completely. This is because working with a local non-public
> branch makes it quite difficult to discuss and difficult to follow.

I think that is a good idea. It makes it a lot easier for people to
work with the code.

John Ogness