[Gta04-owner] Status PCBs / Kernel development

Mike Frysinger vapier at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 22:00:25 CEST 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 03:58, NeilBrown wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 09:27:00 +0200 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" wrote:
> I have plenty of experience with git and merging kernel patches and -next and
> so forth.
> I have very little experience with arch-specific code though, which would
> probably also be helpful.
> I'm happy to help (not sure how much time I'll have available) but may not be
> the best person, depending on who else is available.
>
> We should definitely have one person to funnel all the work through, and they
> should talk to Russell King (ARM maintainer) about how best to work with
> him.  Anything that interacts with ARM in general would need to go through him
> I suspect.  Completely independent drivers might be able to go direct to
> Linus after being presented for review - though I cannot be sure.

we dont have a new arm sub arch, so the board updates should go
through what arm SoC vendor is responsible for the CPU that's on the
gta04 rather than straight to rmk.

as for independent drivers, those rarely go straight to Linus.  they
go through whatever respective subsystem maintainer is responsible for
it.

touchscreen drivers go through the input tree (so Dimitry), while the
framebuffer code goes through the fb tree (Paul atm), and the wifi
drivers probably go through the networking tree (davem).  i havent
looked at the code in question, so perhaps it'd be a diff tree
(bluetooth maybe?).

keeping up-to-date to mainline isnt hard ... once you get a git tree
going.  i already have to do this for the Blackfin tree, and for
various ADI device drivers, so adding a few more drivers to that list
probably wouldnt be a big deal :).  we just have to make sure that all
the existing patches we have contain proper author signed-off-by tags
before we can talk about mainline merging.

i'm assuming golden delicious doesnt want to host its own git
server/trees, so kernel.org probably would be the next best place.  i
imagine though a dedicated e-mail list would be desirable for posting
patches and reviewing things ?  rather than adding that to this list ?
-mike