[Gta04-owner] Status PCBs / Kernel development

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Thu Mar 31 09:58:03 CEST 2011

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 09:27:00 +0200 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller"
<hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> we have now finally ordered the PCBs and now we just have to wait...
> Approx. 4 weeks until they arrive :(
>
> For the CPUs I have to ask Avnet what the current delivery estimate is.
>
> We can fill the time a little with working on the user manual and preparing
> the infrastructure to work on the kernel.
>
> For the latter, I have some questions where you may be able to help.
>
> The idea is that we try to track the latest Linux kernel (2.6.39 started)
> as good as possible since many improvements for the OMAP platform
> and the BeagleBoard have already appeared there. And the TI/ARM kernel
> community will fix bugs for us...
>
> What they will not do is to maintain our GTA04 platform, i.e. specific drivers for
> the display, touch, sensors, buttons etc.
>
> This is work we have to organize ourselves and submit patches to
> the kernel mailing lists and hope they include them.
>
> Writing the drivers itself is not the major magic. We already have one
> for the TD028 display (ported from GTA02 code), for the TSC2007
> touch screen driver. GPS and Bluetooth are serial interfaces and
> WiFi is SDIO (the same as for the GumStix).
>
> But these drivers and configs are only part and compatible to the 2.6.32
> kernel we have here:
>
> 	http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/source/tree/linux-2.6.32/
> 	http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/unstable/src/
>
> E.g.:
>
> 	http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/source/tree/linux-2.6.32/drivers/video/omap2/displays
>
> Unfortunately, I have no experience in is how to really work with the git.kernel.org,
> how to bind ourselves to linux-next, how to track changes that appear there
> and get patches accepted, etc.
>
> Starting over with a copy of vanilla 2.6.38.tbz and migrating our 2.6.32 patches
> so that it works for us would not be difficult. But we rapidly loose any updates/fixes
> by newer kernels. And have to do it again for 2.6.39...
>
> So what I want to avoid from the beginning is that we run too fast and have several
> versions and unharmonized kernels being available and finally nobody
> knows how to or cares about mainstraming it (the fate of the GTA02 U-Boot).
>
> Is someone of you very experienced in that type of work and can help to set
> up how to work together and organize all this, so that we finally get to the goal
> of a mainstreamed GTA04 kernel?

I have plenty of experience with git and merging kernel patches and -next and
so forth.
I have very little experience with arch-specific code though, which would
probably also be helpful.
I'm happy to help (not sure how much time I'll have available) but may not be
the best person, depending on who else is available.

We should definitely have one person to funnel all the work through, and they
should talk to Russell King (ARM maintainer) about how best to work with
him.  Anything that interacts with ARM in general would need to go through him
I suspect.  Completely independent drivers might be able to go direct to
Linus after being presented for review - though I cannot be sure.

If no-one else steps forward I might be able to give it a go, but there would
need to be a fair bit of education happening first....

NeilBrown