[Gta04-owner] more info on production + pricing details?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Dec 15 15:08:22 CET 2011

Am 15.12.2011 um 14:37 schrieb elf Pavlik:

> Excerpts from Jorge Costa's message of 2011-12-15 13:19:29 +0000:
>> I actually disagree with your suggestion, I don't think this would
>> benefit golden delicious or the gta04 project in any way.
>> Golden delicious is a company, as companies needs to profit to survive.
>>
>> that said any company that discloses their providers, manufacturing
>> costs, margins are shooting themselves in the foot.
> i don't think so, especially that i consider gta04 audience as people who care about certain values / principles
> if folks at golden delicious feel comfortable with 'fairness' of their work, they shouldn't fear sharing all the details with the whole community, even including information of their profits... just a little trust in people ;)
>
> if someone tried to 'play dirty' here i believe that openmoko enthusiasts wouldn't support it!

The key point Jorge points out is that the community is only a small part of the Internet.

We negotiate with some partners that are *not* members of the community and they
also expect the fairness that we don't disclose everything.

And if we disclose something here in the list, it can be found by everyone.
So fairness also requires us to keep some details closed.

It may also hurt the other way round. Assume we publish the purchase price
of some component here. Why should any supplier give us a better price in
the future? He knows how much we already were willing to pay...

Nevertheless I can share some information but I don't know if it will help
you in any direction.

>> On 15/12/11 13:03, elf Pavlik wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've looked at 'GTA04 Group Tour'
>>> http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04%20Group%20Tour
>>>
>>> but haven't noticed details of where you order parts, where do you assembly them etc.

Ordering parts: DigiKey, Mouser, Avnet, others - may also change every week depending on who has stock and better price and lower shipping cost
Assembly: in Munich, Germany - may also change if we find someone who is better, faster, cheaper

>>> also if you could share information on choosing providers and possible alternatives.
>>>
>>> I would also appreciate transparency on how you calculate price - parts, shipping, assembling, your cut etc...

~50% of the total price is for components, 19% is German sales tax. The small remaining part is for assembling, refunding past development, funding future development, shipping, customs, marketing, running servers, WEEE&battery recycling, EAN, warranties, scrap, accruals, etc. The remaining part will be our profit or loss (which can also not be excluded beforehand).

We simply don't have such a split since it changes every now and then. Just look at currency exchange rate fluctutations.

So we prefer to spend our time developing hardware and software for everyone, instead of making tables just to satisfy someone's curiosity (which is a good thing per se)...