[Gta04-owner] more info on production + pricing details?

Xavi Drudis Ferran xdrudis at tinet.cat
Thu Dec 15 15:08:43 CET 2011

On Thu 15/12/11 14:37 , elf Pavlik <perpetual-tripper at wwelves.org> wrote:

> Excerpts from Jorge Costa's message of 2011-12-15 13:19:29 +0000:
> > I actually disagree with your suggestion, I don't think this would
> > benefit golden delicious or the gta04 project in any way.
> > Golden delicious is a company, as companies needs to profit to survive.

Yes.

> > that said any company that discloses their providers, manufacturing
> > costs, margins are shooting themselves in the foot.

Not necessarily. On the contrary if all that keeps your company afloat
is the secrecy of their costs and margins, you'd better look for a job.
But they don't have to tell.
Just like I could tell you my salary and that wouldn't be too bad
for me, but I prefer not to say it. It is not that I have reasons not to tell,
it's that I don't have reasons to tell. I guess people at Golden Delicious
may feel likewise. It's not business sense or lack thereof, it's privacy.

> i don't think so, especially that i consider gta04 audience as people who
> care about certain values / principles
> if folks at golden delicious feel comfortable with 'fairness' of their
> work, they shouldn't fear sharing all the details with the whole community,
> even including information of their profits... just a little trust in
> people ;)

I trust they deliver the products they say with the documentation they've
given on what's in the product for the advertised price. Why should I care
about their costs and margins ? I won't be starting a project to build GTA04s
(And if I did I might not get the same prices from the same providers, maybe).
So if anyone else is going to do it (which might not even be bad for Golden
Delicious, who knows, they don't seem short of ideas and todo lists), then
I just watn to know their offers and their specs.

Things are not black or white, and I wish I had so many options to buy
smartphones that I coul pick and choose based on openness, features,
and price. But it's basically GTA04 or very worse stuff as far as I see.

> if someone tried to 'play dirty' here i believe that openmoko enthusiasts
> wouldn't support it!

What's your definition of dirty ? High profits ? Low Profits ? slave labour ?
libel ? hiding private financial information from the public ?
What are you suspecting or comparing against better options ?