[Gta04-owner] plastic cases

xdrudis xdrudis at tinet.cat
Wed Dec 14 23:30:02 CET 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 04:20:38PM +0100, John Ogness wrote:

> The case isn't the only issue. You also need some of the hardware
> components of the Freerunner. Here is a quote from a previous mail on
> this list:
>
> These parts are missing:
> * very important: GSM/UMTS antenna (we have an idea for a substitute
>   but = never tried)
> * battery (there is a Nokia replacement)
> * earpiece speaker, mono/stereo handsfree speakers (i.e. Headset sound
>   = only)
> * vibracall motor (may be not that important)
> * internal GPS antenna (external should work through a hole in the
>   case)
> * Power and Aux buttons (mechanical parts)

You are right. These also need to be bought. I guess when I read this
I was somehow expecting Golden Delicious to also find and buy them in bulk
as an accessory kit, but I realise I didn't have a reason to expect
that. It's a different project and could be run by the same people (maybe
one project at a time, they can't have infinite resources) or by others.

I guess the bigger the new case the easier to find some components ?
I mean maybe it's a different problem to find some of the components
if they have to fit in the existing case (assuming the same design
could be manufactured again). But I guess all antennas for the same
signals are the same size ? (was it that minimum antenna size is related
to wavelength or maybe it "just" has to be a multiple? or maybe these
antennas are not so simple).

What I mean is are there workarounds than can relax some requirements
and make the project of finding all these components easier at some
cost to the usefulness, aesthetics or size of the case ? What cost ?
Is the answer to these "simplifying" questions harder than the original problem ?