[Gta04-owner] Linux 3.2-rc4 - now with wifi

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Mon Dec 5 19:20:45 CET 2011

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 17:20:45 +0100 Klaus 'mrmoku' Kurzmann
<mok at mnet-online.de> wrote:

> [...]
> >     git://neil.brown.name/gta04 merge
>

> > The main new functionality is wireless.  The details for enabling wireless
> > are slightly different than with the hw-validation kernel.
>
> > 1/ the reset line is /sys/class/gpio/gta04:wlan:reset
> >     write 0 to reset, 1 to release the reset
> >    The "reset" line is active-low.
>
> > 2/ After power-on and reset you need to trigger a card-detect signal.
> >    This requires making gpio/gta:wlan/cd go high, then low.  Card-detect
> >    is active-low too.
>
> > so:
>
> > VDD=3150000
> > # VDD=2800000
> > echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gta04:wlan:cd/value
> > echo "0" >/sys/class/gpio/gta04:wlan:reset/value # activate reset
> > echo "$VDD" >/sys/devices/platform/reg-virt-consumer.4/max_microvolts
> > echo "$VDD" >/sys/devices/platform/reg-virt-consumer.4/min_microvolts
> > echo "normal" >/sys/devices/platform/reg-virt-consumer.4/mode
> > echo "1" >/sys/class/gpio/gta04:wlan:reset/value # release reset
> > echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gta04:wlan:cd/value  # edge triggers interrupt.
>
> > Each gpio directory has an 'active_low' setting.  I should probably find a
> > way to enable that...  Unless I end up hiding all of this inside an rfkill.
>

> > I added the code to enable power-off, but it doesn't work.
> > As soon as it tries to access the i2c device to send the power-down command to
> > the twl4030 it triggers an error.  It seems that something earlier in the
> > shutdown sequence disabled something that is needed for writing to I2C, but I
> > have no idea what.
> > I've sent an email to someone to ask for hints..
>
> > I discovered that USB_OTG is disabled in the default config, because
> > USB_SUSPEND is disabled.  If I enable this (because they sound like good
> > things) the charging doesn't work any more.
> > I think the usb port goes to sleep and so stops charging.  I really need to
> > find a way for the charger to keep the usb port awake.
>
> > Still to do:
> >  - power off
> >  - accelerometers
> >  - explore various bugs reported in dmesg:
> >  - Find out why 'suspend' doesn't suspend
> >  - Make sure suspend saves maximum power.
> >  - make sure can wake from suspend by:
> >     power button, rtc, accelerometer, GSM
> >  - tidy up LCD panel driver.
> >  - make charger keep usb awake, and enable USB_OTG
> >  - see if I can make an 'rfkill' device that will power-on wifi/BT for me.
> >  - Maybe an rfkill for 'gps' as well.
> >  - further explore the rtc alarm bug I found last week.
> >  - gyroscope, compass, barometer,  FM radio?
> >  - See if I can get it to charge from Openmoko charger.
> >  - get all the fixes upstream.
>
> > My goal is to be using this as my regular phone by LCA-2012 !!
>
> great :-)
>
> I have one problem with rc4. Touchsreen stopped working:
>
> root at om-gta04:~# cat /dev/input/event0
> [  739.782196] omap_i2c omap_i2c.2: controller timed out
> [  739.813537] tsc2007 2-0048: i2c io error: -110

110 is ETIMEDOUT

> any hint?

Not really.  I don't have a real touch screen attached yet so I might have
trouble testing.  I'll have a look though.

My guess is that it is related to runtime-power-management, but that is just
because the last two weird bugs were.

> And another big thank you for the great work you're doing (being burned
> by the stuttering upstreaming works of Nokia for n900 we (SHR) really appreciate
> that)

:-)
There is a reason we call it the bleeding edge - but when you bleed, at least
that proves you are alive!

NeilBrown