[Gta04-owner] Wifi sensitivity

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 4 00:42:43 CET 2011

On Friday 02 December 2011 15:00:47 Radek Polak wrote:
> On Friday 02 December 2011 13:47:12 Radek Polak wrote:
> > The temperature was not that hot now, IIRC is was much worse with 3150000
> > volage. I'll try it now.
>
> 3150000 voltage did no difference, i'll do the test when i get home. Maybe
> the temperature is high only when i am connected to the router (i just did
> iwlist scan during this test, no connection was made).

I usually turn on WIFI for SSH so I don't pull the phone of the couch while
connected via USB. In general it seems to run warmer than GTA02 (ok, there's a
factor 2 in clock speed, stacked CPU+RAM), but indeed, especially with WLAN on
it's getting hot.

I closed the case as soon as it seemed the board ran OK, so I can not
literally put my finger on the hot place. It seems to me though, that
especially the battery runs hot.

While connected to external power, how is the power path? Is it via the
battery, since the unit dies when removing the battery, even though it's still
connected to external power? Does that imply that while running with external
power, the battery is actually an "online UPS", getting charged on one side
and discharged on the other, warming in the meantime? Or is it a red herring
and is the battery just heated by the electronics inside the case? The LCD
also gets warm, but not hot.

I'll wade through my backlog of mailinglist, and test the temperature at 2.8
and 3.1 volts as well.

By the way, which kernel are you running? I'm running the "stock" hw-
validation kernel (and actually wanted to give QTmoko v37 a try, but first
will check the temperature).

Boudewijn