[Gta04-owner] Status PCBs / Kernel development

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Apr 1 09:31:34 CEST 2011

Am 31.03.2011 um 19:44 schrieb Peter Klassen:

> Hi all,
> I've discovered an interesting link regarding this topic. This site
> contains more links, maybe there is some useful info, if no experienced
> developer will step out.
>
> http://kernelnewbies.org/UpstreamMerge

This subpage gave me a lot of insights:

	http://kernelnewbies.org/UpstreamMerge/SubmittingPatches

And questions what it means for our project...

The first one is for

> 9) Name your kernel version.
> It is important to note, either in the subject line or in the patch
> description, the kernel version to which this patch applies.
>
> If the patch does not apply cleanly to the latest kernel version,
> Linus will not apply it.

It is obvious why this must be, but the question arises how
we maintain a tree that is up-to-date what Linus thinks the
latest kernel version is.

My observation (from my work with drivers) is that it may take
weeks from the moment where you download some kernel source,
until a new driver is working good enough so that you consider
submitting a patch.

In that time, several release candidates of a new kernel have appeared
and that what Linus will think is the latest kernel version may have
diverged from what your start was.

So what I do not understand yet is how we can update the base on
which we work while we work. I.e. track/merge that what Linus is
doing.

Well, this may introduce some incompatibilities to our own work
because others also may change the basis, but that is ok.

As far as I understand, this has something to do with correctly
setting up our git tree (copy) we work on. And, we regularily
have to synchronize it with the mainline.

The other area is about

> 3) Separate your changes.

Here, I think we have to define some priority list what we
want to get in first and what later on.

I think it should be sorted by descending priority. Priority
being defined as some "usefulness to everyone".

That would IMHO be
1. board file (nowhere in kernel)
2. display driver (nowhere in kernel)
3. other drivers (some already available in kernel)

What I am not sure about is 1&2. They are logically
separate, but useless if we don't have both combined.

So getting upstream one of them isn't enough.

What are your experiences and suggestions?