[Gta04-owner] Status PCBs / Kernel development

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Apr 1 08:16:09 CEST 2011

Hi Mike,

Am 31.03.2011 um 22:00 schrieb Mike Frysinger:

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 03:58, NeilBrown wrote:
>> On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 09:27:00 +0200 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" wrote:
>> I have plenty of experience with git and merging kernel patches and -next and
>> so forth.
>> I have very little experience with arch-specific code though, which would
>> probably also be helpful.
>> I'm happy to help (not sure how much time I'll have available) but may not be
>> the best person, depending on who else is available.
>>
>> We should definitely have one person to funnel all the work through, and they
>> should talk to Russell King (ARM maintainer) about how best to work with
>> him.  Anything that interacts with ARM in general would need to go through him
>> I suspect.  Completely independent drivers might be able to go direct to
>> Linus after being presented for review - though I cannot be sure.
>
> we dont have a new arm sub arch, so the board updates should go
> through what arm SoC vendor is responsible for the CPU that's on the
> gta04 rather than straight to rmk.

Well, we are even more close to the BeagleBoard. In fact the current
board file just patches the beagle.c, adds some drivers and has its
own .config. No changes elsewhere.

> as for independent drivers, those rarely go straight to Linus.  they
> go through whatever respective subsystem maintainer is responsible for
> it.
>
> touchscreen drivers go through the input tree (so Dimitry), while the
> framebuffer code goes through the fb tree (Paul atm), and the wifi
> drivers probably go through the networking tree (davem).  i havent
> looked at the code in question, so perhaps it'd be a diff tree
> (bluetooth maybe?).

I think we can see the GTA04 diffs as
* BB base code -> config different PinMux
* add display driver to video/omap2/display
* configure TSC2007 driver (already exists)
* configure WiFi, Bluetooth (drivers already exist through GumStix)
* configure UMTS
* maybe patch the audio system to enable digital sound paths (that is an area we have to find out)
* configure BMP085, HMC5883 drivers (already exist)
* add new drivers for BMA180, ITG3200 (available from the Freerunner Navigation Board)
* other minor things like Camera driver
* GPS is a serial IF, i.e. NMEA records appear on /dev/ttyO1

> keeping up-to-date to mainline isnt hard ... once you get a git tree
> going.  i already have to do this for the Blackfin tree, and for
> various ADI device drivers, so adding a few more drivers to that list
> probably wouldnt be a big deal :).  we just have to make sure that all
> the existing patches we have contain proper author signed-off-by tags
> before we can talk about mainline merging.

Ok.

This is IHMO the main issue to set up a git tree that tracks mainline.

> i'm assuming golden delicious doesnt want to host its own git
> server/trees, so kernel.org probably would be the next best place.  i

Well, almost all similar hardware projects run their own git and have some
cascade to get it into mainline. E.g.

	http://gitorious.org/beagleboard-validation/linux/commits/beagleboardXM
	http://git.openpandora.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi
	http://git.alwaysinnovating.com/
	http://gumstix.org/access-source-code.html

> imagine though a dedicated e-mail list would be desirable for posting
> patches and reviewing things ?  rather than adding that to this list ?

Well, we already have a git tree for the gta04 kernel - although it is in a
not well maintained state so I would prefer to start over. It can be accessed
through:

	http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/source/tree/master/

or

	git clone _git at git.goldelico.com:gta04-kernel.git

It currently provides our 2.6.32 kernel but is not mergeable with the
latest git.

So if you have already done setting up such a tree to follow mainline,
let's discuss the steps we have to do. You can also get write access
to the repository.