[Tinkerphones] "We don't control our lives" - smartphones - tinkerphones - debian on smartphones

D. Guthrie dguthrie at posteo.net
Thu Jul 30 15:31:03 CEST 2020

In my opinion, you've made a couple of assumptions which aren’t practical.
This isn’t a criticism of your enthusiasm and technical knowledge, but my
personal experience and the reality for many folks I know. Like so many
things in this world of ours, things that seem technically simple can be
practically very difficult, which is not ideal but I am resigned to this
being a fact of life.

Firstly, there is an implicit assumption that people have a computer. This
is certainly not borne out by reality; many people do not own a computer,
or it is shared between their family, or they are old, or children, or not
able to use one. So even if they could
redirect SIP calls to their computer, it may not be practical as they may
not have constant access to it (hence missing the whole point of being able
to receive calls). Then it may not be a portable computer, so they can’t
take it to work or when they’re out and about which is a big problem. I
speak to university students all the time who are shocked that some of
their fellow students might not have access to a computer.

Secondly, even if they have a computer, mobile phones (and smartphones) are
essential for one’s job and not provided by the employer - think Deliveroo,
Uber, etc where you pick up jobs from the mobile phone app. Many people
also need a smartphone to search for jobs when they inevitably get laid off
by their employer. Of course, they also get calls/texts/messages via apps
from family and friends.

Thirdly, even if it’s technically easy, many people simply won’t be able to
afford to use a SIP service, which can be significantly more expensive than
their mobile phone use - pay as you go mobile phone SIMs are inexpensive
and the reality for many people. €3/month is much more than I spend on my
mobile phone, for instance. Of course there are caveats, the actual cost
overall can be higher especially for mobile data usage, but circumstances
mean that contract mobile phone services either are not available at all or
are much too expensive initially or overall.

In my experience, I cannot do something like this myself in a few days. I
don’t own a computer powerful enough to run any Android emulators, nor do I
have time to set it up, and nor do I have a portable computer at the moment
(it broke and I am not willing to spend money on it at the moment). I am
certainly not technically incompitent either.

I think that ‘crazy’ is definitely not the right word, but certainly given
the above, in my experience it is certainly difficult for people who
require their mobile phone not to see it that way.
In the meantime, I’m excited about the future of PostmarketOS and
maemo-leste. The latter is reviving the absolutely awesome and very usable
Maemo OS (I miss my N900) and adapting it to work on modern Debian (well,
Devuan, but anyway), with a view to support devices that can work with
modern technologies like ofono, and modern Linux kernel etc. It’s truly
impressive what they’ve accomplished so far. This, I think is most
promising.

I hope that is something to think about. Thanks a lot for sharing your setup!