[Tinkerphones] "We don't control our lives" - smartphones - tinkerphones - debian on smartphones

Naqiao naqiao at naqiao.hk
Thu Jul 30 14:54:34 CEST 2020

The idea of being able to run Debian on a phone is nice, but I think it misses
the main point of the problem, this is, that mobile networks and phones are
basically designed to control people, it's a political issue more than a
technical one.

I think the way to go is just stop using them, at least for a while: "no phone"
can be better than a "bad phone".

It may sound crazy at first, but technically is much easier than most people
imagine, you can do it yourself in a few days:

- Get some virtual SIP numbers, both mobile and land-line, according to your needs.

- Redirect the SMS to your email and voice calls to your SIP account.

- Get Android emulator configured on your desktop/laptop computers, for the
  occasional app not available for PC.

- Switch off your mobile phone and forget about it.

That's all, it just works, if enough people do that phone makers and politicians
will begin to change their policies, it's just a matter of how many people will
stop using their phones.

You may think very few people will stop using them, but I'm not so sure, there
are many people that would like to stop using their mobile phones for very
different reasons if they had a good, socially acceptable, reason/excuse to do so.

The fact is that trying to make a current smartphone "free and non controlling"
is a lost battle, you can get better than average, but still very far from real
freedom, it's an asymmetric "war" where a few weak people try to defeat a few
very powerful ones, and the outcome is clear.

But the other way around, stop using mobile phones until makers provide the
means to use them in a free and non-controlling way, is much more easy to do and
more likely to be successful, eventually they will prefer to lose some control
over people and devices than to lose too many users, it's just a matter of
numbers.

In the near future it could well become fashionable to stop using mobile phones,
if you look around you, there are much more crazy "fashionable" things happening
all the time, and anyway you look at it most people could live without a mobile
phone, it's just a matter of changing your way of life and/or thinking ;-)