[Tinkerphones] Strategies for sustainable phones

Duncan Guthrie dguthrie at posteo.net
Mon Sep 23 17:50:46 CEST 2019

Hi!

I actually have a KaiOS-powered phone (one of the new Nokia handsets). It’s quite nifty, but it’s still proprietary. It’s pretty usable as a basic phone though. It also includes the Google assistant (boo!) and a some other Google programs.

It doesn’t look like there is much danger of it becoming much more demanding anytime soon, although the KaiOS phones do have quite impressive specifications for what they’re doing (I recall seeing one with 1GB of memory and 8GB of storage). They still run Firefox OS and at the heart are presumably based on the Android core of that. It’s not OSS though so I don’t know how they port a phone to KaiOS, however.

The slightly sad thing about it is that it derives directly from Firefox OS; they’re basically targeting the low-end feature phone market that Mozilla made a half-hearted attempt at targeting (albeit with very slow smartphones running the full Firefox OS).

As far as I can tell, with regards to the software and development environment, you get an outdated Firefox core (I am not sure if this is a good idea to let loose on the world), and can write little web applications for it without much trouble.

Curiously, Sailfish 3 seems to be targeting these sorts of devices too but I haven’t seen any hardware running it, so perhaps it doesn’t exist yet except at their HQ. The UI for that is still proprietary though. I almost wish for a Nokia[HMD]-produced handset running it, which would be ironic given the history of Linux on Nokia’s devices, and the reasons for which Sailfish came about.

I think that getting one of the feature phone UIs working on one of the KaiOS handsets would be a very nice proof of concept.

Did I mention GNU/Linux, and OSS more generally, on mobile devices is a mess? :(

Best,
Duncan