[Tinkerphones] Strategies for sustainable phones

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Sep 23 17:25:46 CEST 2019

> Am 23.09.2019 um 17:03 schrieb Benson Muite <benson_muite at emailplus.org>:

>>> Well, if there is no technological breakthrough progress any more (displays,
>>> cameras, processors, RAM sizes etc. do not show significant improvement any
>>> more), the only way vendors can tell they have something new and get
>>> customers to replace devices is by changing the clothing every year - this
>>> is called "fashion". And making them less durable. Seems to be a
>>> fundamental law of economics...
>> But very bad for the planet. As it is, however, people can always be persuaded
>> to upgrade by just making the software more demanding, so as I noted, we have
>> the same kind of upgrade culture as the one Microsoft and Intel cultivated.
>>
>> I have tried to get in touch with a researcher I very vaguely know who has
>> done work on sustainable phones, inquiring about considerations of software
>> longevity which were generally absent in the research being done, but I
>> haven't had any response yet. It seems to be a blind spot: people care about
>> how the physical product is made, claiming a long lifespan, but then the
>> software makes the device obsolete.
>>
>> [...]
> Any thoughts on KaiOS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KaiOS)?

Interesting. It seems to have similar goals as our QtMoko or my QuantumSTEP, but
we never got investments by Google or a telco operator :)

Key drivers of this project (and I think the same is for Sailfish) are telco
operators who try to stay independent of Google and Android and offer customers
an alternative.