[Tinkerphones] Gumstix Geppetto

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Tue Sep 11 13:22:23 CEST 2018

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 20:46:24 -0700, Bill Woodcock wrote:

> We have good electrical engineers, and do our own design for some things,
> but we just needed a daughterboard with a very specific set of interfaces
> for the Compute Module 3, in quantity of about a dozen, and this was a
> really cheap way to get the project done quickly, and have someone else
> debug all the interface drivers.  They delivered quickly, and we?ve had
> zero problems.  We?re very happy.

This is a use case that I thought about - using the service as "extra
capacity" that you would otherwise have to devote resources to. I'm guessing
that this is fairly common practice, but I get the impression that this
service tries to streamline it as much as possible.

How did it work out with the software? I know that you should get system
images. Did you get full sources for that? And is is possible to export the
designs if you decide you want to take production elsewhere? (Maybe that's
an FAQ I missed.)

Another thought I had about the use cases was that, although there are lots
of capes/hats/shields available for various single board computers, most of
them are compromises between what might be useful and what individual
products/solutions require. So, it seems to me that a way to quickly create
customised boards is useful for people doing more than "hobbyist" electronics
but who aren't necessarily looking to create a consumer device.

David